I was having a rather introspective day today and did a lot of thinking about how becoming a parent completely changes your life. Everyone always tell you this when you announce your expecting but its one of those things you have to experience to really get. Parenthood steals your time, energy and money and sleep and me time and…well you get the point BUT what you gain from becoming a parent makes up for what you lose and then some. My sweet cupcake this is what becoming your mommy has given/or taught me:
Patience: Ok, I will pick up your toy again even though this is the 10th time you have dangled it in front of me and dropped it on the floor!
Acceptance: You want to wake up at 1am tonight, 3am tomorrow night and then 1am AND 3 am the next night? Ok, I guess I have to accept that!
Responsibility: I’m responsible for all of your needs! You can’t do anything on your own. Even writing that makes my heart hurt. Before you my biggest responsibility was your fur sister but I could put her in a crate and leave her at home for hours. Not to worry I will take you everywhere that I can- you already know that!
Empathy: Becoming your mommy has made me more empathetic.. perhaps as a result of all of the hormonal changes😉 I tend to make more decisions from the heart now which makes me a happier person.
Nurturing: Holding, kissing and loving you has automatically made me your nurturer , but what was surprising to me was how much this nurturing quality has spread into all aspects of my life. Before I react I often find myself thinking that is someone’s son or daughter and hope those who teach you in the future have that same thought process!
Thankful: Cupcake, you are the most tremendous gift I have ever received. Having you has drawn me closer to God because I know he handpicked you out just for me. There is not one day that I take you for granted and I’m so very thankful I can call you my daughter!
Thank you Cupcake for making me a PARENT. I’m a much better person because of you!
Its so easy to focus on what your life used to be like before become a parent and I hope this helps you remember that the person you became by becoming a parent is a MUCH BETTERperson!
So I have given you plenty of time to “check your belly”! If you are like me and have a wonderful new friend Diastasis Recti not to fear the TUPLER TECHNIQUE aka Mummy Tummy Fixer is here!
Fair warning..I just put away my Wonder Woman cape from Halloween so I may use a lot of super hero references in this post😉
Lets just get right down to business because if you are like me you have AWESOME..FABULOUS plans for your Friday night.. My plans just might be lounging in my PJ’s, sipping some wine and watching Lifetime but right now that is my version of my Fabulous Friday Night!
***Before you start the program, take pictures of your belly from the front and the side. Your before photos will inspire you to continue doing the program- TRUST ME!
Healing your Diastasis Recti is all about using your Transverse Muscle correctly. Here are 3 things to keep in mind:
1. Gravity affects your ability to engage the transverse muscle; therefore, it is best to exercise in a seated or standing position.
2. Belly breathing puts the transverse muscle in the right starting position, 5th floor, which I will explain below.
3. In a back lying position when the shoulders come off the floor, it is impossible to bring the transverse to 5th floor and hold it there which is why sit-ups are a NO NO if you have diastasis.
4. A forward crossover movement will make the diastasis larger. Avoid activities such as tennis or golf until you are healed!
OK so what is this 5th floor thing??
- Take a belly breath in (you should visibly see your stomach extend as you take in air)
- As you exhale pull your belly button in as if you were trying to have your belly button reach your back. NOTE: This is not the same as sucking in as many of us have been know to do to get that “perfect” picture. When you “suck in” you are sticking your ribs out which you DONT want to do. You want to close your ribs and have your transverse muscles rest in their proper place!
- This position in which you are pulled in is called- FIFTH FLOOR. Fall in love with this position because you will be here A LOT!
These are going to be the only 2 exercises you do for 2 weeks. Try to refrain from weight training and running during this time. You really need to concentrate on healing and retraining your abdominal muscles before going all out with other forms of exercises. Again- TRUST ME! I learned this the hard way!
EXERCISE #1 ELEVATOR (seated)
- With ribs in, bring belly to 5th floor and hold it there for 30 counts. Count out loud so you are breathing.
- Do 10 little squeezes from 5th to 6th floor (so pull your belly button even further back towards your spine)
- End with a belly breath. Expand belly to first floor (all the way out) and then bring belly to 5th floor on the exhale.
- That’s 1 set!
EXERCISE #2 CONTRACTING (seated)
- Ribs are in and hands are resting on upper and lower belly to ensure backward movement.
- Belly goes from the 3rd to 5th floor (instead of pulling your belly all the way back first like in the Elevator only pull back 1/3 of the way and then squeeze back to 5th floor).
- Control the release only back to 3rd floor.
- Make sure you count out loud so you are breathing.
- 1 set = 100 squeezes going from 3rd to 5th floor!
YOUR GOAL FOR THE NEXT TWO WEEKS!
WEEK 1: 5 sets of CONTRACTING & 10 sets of ELEVATORS
WEEK 2: 5 sets of CONTRACTING (but start at 4th floor and squeeze to 5th..the goal is to not relax your muscles as much as you did in Week 1) & 10 sets of ELEVATORS
I know Mama’s it sounds like a lot but Im telling you IT WORKS! Once you learn how to do the exercises it becomes second nature. You can do these driving, cooking dinner and getting ready in the morning but dont try to be a multi-tasking Wonder Woman yet😉. Focus on doing the exercises correctly and dont rush through them. Break up your exercises by doing some in the morning, afternoon and night, put in on your to do list and make it a PRIORITY!
If you want to see Super Hero like results I really encourage you to order the Rehab Split. It is recommended that you wear this all the time even while sleeping until you heal. I will admit that I didn’t wear it while sleeping but wore it consistently for 3 weeks especially when doing the exercises. Here is the link with a video to show you how to put it on!
http://strongtummies.com/home/?shopp_product=diastasis-rehab-splint® (just copy and paste into your browser if the link doesn’t work)
So thats all you need to focus on for now!!
Back to your day you go to fight crime and save cities.. well really it’s off to dirty diapers, dirty dishes and dirty laundry for most of us but you get the point!
Good luck Super Mommies… lets get those bellies back to where they belong!
PS.. Picture of my belly taken last week 7 weeks after starting the program and the other picture is Cupcake or I should say “Super Cupcake” and I, “Wonder Woman” on Halloween